Monday 18 February 2013

HOLY CROSS BAND

Every former pupil of St Patrick's Convent School knows that one cannot think of St Patrick's without thinking of Holy Cross too.  Because of that close bond, I am always more than happy to post pictures of anything connected with Holy Cross.  So, I am indebted to my nephew, Craig, for this great picture of Holy Cross Band. I am not sure when it was taken but I would guess it was sometime in the 1960s.   I can see Tom and Brian Healey, Tom Prim, Robert Miller, the Corbett boys, Craig McAllister, Jack Murphy and  a couple of the Hearn brothers.   Perhaps someone can help me out with the date and also with names of the boys.  
 
I know I am not the only one who went to school with no homework done the day after Holy Cross Spring Concert.  We were willing to risk the wrath of an irate teacher because the Band made sweet music and the Spring Concert was our night to enjoy it!  Happy days indeed.  Thanks for the picture, Craig, and thanks for the memories. 

Time to do a little editing here and add this bit of information supplied by Brian Hearn. Anyone else have anything to add?
 
"That is a great picture. I have a copy. I am in the back right corner next to Maurice Smith who is next to a Christian Brother whose name I am not sure of. Maybe Brother Dugan. My brother Ray is three to the left of me, short with glasses and red hair and holding the horn. I believe that is Tom Prim standing next to him. My brother, Frank, is in the middle of the front row wearing glasses and holding a clarinet. The two trombone players on the far left are Brian Galway and Benny Dalton. Standing behind me, holding the sousaphone, is Bob Corbett. Bob and I and a number of other members of the Holy Cross Band all played together for many years with the Royal Newfoundland Regiment Band."
 
 
Holy Cross School Band


No comments:

Post a Comment